Tuesday, December 04, 2012

New Understanding - to be 'called'

Note Card Image - NFS
I just finished reading a book titled Unlocking the Heart of the Artist by Matt Tommey. 

I can't say I understood all of it or have all the answers to the exercises on the first read, but I can say it made a HUGE  impression.  


I have read books with similar content - also interesting - but always on the surface of understanding, and never quite connecting like with this one. Though perhaps the other books did help prepare me.

Funny thing is, it reminded me of when I took history in high school hating almost every lesson and my grades reflected this; but when I took art-history in college, I found it interesting and I did pretty well. Same time-lines, but with a different perspective.

Most of my life, if not all, I have studied mostly informally and searched for answers to religious questions, but never quite understood what it was to be 'called', or the bigger question concerning the meaning of life. I even have a daughter who is very clear on what being called means for her, but I just didn't quite get it. So I kept searching.

I learned to recognize my strengths, but didn't know how they would fit into the 'Kingdom' I heard about in my search. I did learn to recognize faulty thinking, and when corrected it would help me live differently.  

Needless to say, I'm a pretty 'tough nut to crack'. In fact, I wasn't sure I would ever really understand, and my journey has been long and frustrating. I even considered that perhaps it all could be just someone's imagination that there was a living God that wanted to communicate with us, but 'something' compelled me to keep looking. 

It is so much more than study, and much more than believing - it is a 'knowing' that for me is difficult to put into words. I also know I am still 'a work in progress', but I have regained some trust and new hope for better possibilities. Once I made the connection, I instantly knew God's Kingdom is real. I think in order to help make it happen, one really needs to be open to making the connection. Can be a little scary depending on the circumstances. 

It is so clear to me how our understanding of things can change dramatically if the message is presented in the right context for who you are, and that's exactly what happened for me by reading this book. 

If you are still searching just keep going until you find 'it'. 

If you are 'called' to read the book I mentioned, you can find it on Amazon, or the below link goes to the Author's community website at http://www.theworshipstudio.org/resources/.

Thanks for reading and letting me share this story with you.

1 comment:

  1. This is fascinating. Thank you for taking the time to write about it. I am going to order the book.
    Hope that 2013 will be a fabulous year for you in both painting and spirit.

    ReplyDelete