Thursday, January 01, 2015

Photographing a Painting in Warm and/or Cool Light

Since we have had sunshine weather lately, I was looking for something to paint outdoors and settled on the three stumps behind my home that is mostly covered in fern. It is a bit messy looking this time of year, but I didn't have to drive anywhere which made it an easy choice. It was mid afternoon - 3ish. Didn't give me a lot of light, but it was still an opportunity to paint on a partly sunny day!

The resulting image definitely shows the messiness of the scene!!! It was cold and I just wanted to get the impression down - total time about an hour (2 sittings).

Some of you may already know that when I brought the painting into the house, it looked different than what I painted outdoors. Since it would be seen indoors, I decided to take photos in both a cool light and a warm light. I also thought it might be a good time to show the differences... and hope you can see the chage on your monitors.

Cool Light Photo
9 x 12 Oil on Canvas Panel

Warm Light Photo
9 x 12 Oil on Canvas Panel


The same painting seen outdoors was somewhere in between, leaning towards the cooler range... the color change is subtle on my monitor, but really does illustrate how the light you are using for painting, and photographing really does have an influence on the colors you are using/seeing/painting! Warm light does look more yellow, and the cool light does move things towards blue.

My impression is that the warmer photo reads better on the monitor.
Probably will try painting this again in a different season when the new growth comes in to see how that changes the choice of colors. This clearly makes landscape painting a little more challenging knowing it will be viewed indoors under various light conditions, yes?

BTW, this is the first post for the New Year 2015. For January, I will be posting every few days on my progress with the 30/30 day Challenge. Thanks for viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment