Thursday, April 19, 2018

Studio Campagna Oil Paintings - Toy Series...

I was 'toying' with the idea of painting a few still life with children's toys. This isn't a new concept, but one I've been wanting to do for awhile. The first below was done in 2016, and inspired me to do more.

I'm not going to rush through them, as I want to select items that appeal to me for the project. I would like them to hold a story that makes them more special somehow.

This is the first I'd like to share with you. The back story on this one isn't anything profound, but my love of painting hydrangeas and peonies just called out 'paint me.' The little toy clown is very old and beginning to show signs of wear and tear. I picked him up at a discount store years ago. It reminded me of my grandmother's porcelain dolls. He's only about 6 inches tall, and use to sit near my dressing mirror just for fun.

With very strong warm color, I was surprised by the result. It also seems to have a bit of a Victorian feel so I did some scratching on the panel to give it an aged look.

Toy Clown with Hydrangeas and Peonies
Framed - 8 x 8 inch canvas panel
© 2016
Price $ ebay auction + Shipping

I did't have any other toys laying around, so I had to recruit some new and gently used items for the next paintings. Now to find the other components for cohesive compositions. 

FYI: BTW - I'll be donating 35% of the proceeds from the series to a local charity - 
Foster Champs of Maple Valley, WA.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful colors and I adore the clown. What a find.
    I think it is a great idea to do a series with toys and will look forward to it.
    I had commented on the post about Twala Tharp but do not see it. I have been having computer problems. Anyway I LOVED the book The Creative Habit and was thrilled you recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I was a little behind in my moderating comments. You always have such wonderful supportive comments for me. I really appreciate you.

      Delete