Monday, January 21, 2013

"Paint Two Images..." - Stage 2

It has been about 6 months since I posted anything about this project regarding the 'Paint Two Images Project'. It seems no matter how important a project is, it doesn't mean it is going to happen quickly, and this is definitely one of those projects.

I think about this project almost daily, and have mulled over old drawings, and new drawings, and lots of ideas about what these two images should be. All in all, I kept returning to a figurative theme, and here is the next stage of the project.


Title TBD - Originals Not for Sale
16 x 20 inches - Oil on Stretched Canvas
© 2013
While researching for this project, I came across one charcoal drawing and one ink drawing that were done in 1980's during figure drawing classes. When I drew them, I didn't know I would be using them in the future - the thought never occurred to me. The female model was done during a fashion illustration course, and the male model is actually a dancer who modeled for art students in Seattle. The originals were done about 4 years apart, and I was a little surprised to see how little the style of my drawings changed.

As I develop the idea for these paintings I became keen on using symbolism, and I am leaving it open for interpretation. Several thoughts have swept across my mind about what it might mean, but I tell you 'it changes' a bit even though some passages are constant. It is like different layers of understanding are represented.

The actual rendering of the image is not determined because of the difficulty of finding and affording models to work from, so in the interest of allowing these paintings to develop as I go along, they may likely be left to look very graphic rather than realistic. BTW, I am working on them simultaneously as though it is one large painting. This should keep them looking harmonious both in style and color.

I have some ideas for the background, and will be posting that result I hope in the near future. I have resolved that no matter what the result of these paintings, they will be framed and put on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment